Here at 10K Steps Daily (10000 Steps) we wanted to give you a Comprehensive Guide to show you how to achieve 10,000 steps daily.
How Many Steps In A Mile?
Great question. 10000 Steps is roughly 5-6 miles of walking.
Here is how it’s calculated.
The average person has a walking stride length of approximately 2.1 to 2.5 feet. To cover 1 mile or 5280 feet, one would have to take approximately 2,100 to 2,500 steps, again depending on stride length. There are many factors that influence stride length including hip mobility, flexibility, fitness, height and speed. Taller people will almost always have a longer stride length than shorter people. Depending on your fitness and your genetics, walking 10,000 steps will require you to walk at least 4 to 5 miles. A GENERAL rule of thumb is 2,000 steps = 1 mile.
Some things to think about
- A sedentary person may only average 1,000 to 3,000 steps a day. For these people adding steps has many health benefits.
- An hour walk is roughly equivalent to 8,000 steps if you can maintain a 15 minute mile pace.
Why 10,000 Steps Daily?
Glad you asked. The concept of 10,000 Steps was derived by a man named DR. YOSHIRO HATANO. Dr. Yoshiro was interested in getting the Japanese society more fit. He observed that the typical Japanese person was moving between 3,500 to 5000 steps daily and that if they increase their stepping, they would become healthier. Dr. Yoshiro developed a 10,000 step pedometer called Manpo-kei.
Manpo-kei is written 万歩計.
万: man – 10,000
歩: po – step
計: kei – measure
The concept of walking or running 10,000 steps took off and eventually other fitness manufactures and health professionals started marketing 10,000 steps as a baseline for healthy activity. Realistically though 10,000 steps is just a number that was easy to market. Those with slower metabolisms might need to do more in order to see results. Others might get away with 8 or 9k steps.
You might be wondering, so where to I begin? Well, we always advise starting off slowly and building up to 10,000 Steps. If you are the typical sedentary person, you might have difficulty achieving 10,000 steps in a single session. We have found taking up a challenge like our 2,000 Steps before 9am, is a great way to introduce you to a 10,000 steps daily regiment.
Getting started with 10000 Steps – A Compressive Guide
OK so now that we know roughly how many steps we need to take for a mile and how many miles we need for the magic number of 10,000 Steps Daily, what’s next?
Here is how to get started on the 10,000 steps program:
- The number one rule is always CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN if you have any health concerns.
- Calculate How Many Steps You Currently Take In A Day. You may want to do this for multiple days and come up with an average. Many manufacturers have made calculating steps really easy. There are Fitbits, Garmin and Polar watches that do all the calculations for you.
- Ease Into 10000 Steps. By this we mean you don’t have to do 10000 steps right from the start. Increasing your current step count by 1,000 to 2,000 steps will be a huge improvement.
- Invest In A Good Set Of Walking Or Running Shoes. You want something that will be comfortable with proper cushioning. Our suggestion is to visit a local running store and ask for advice. From our experience it is optimal to have 2 pairs of shoes and rotate using them between walking sessions.
- Set A Goal. We have found that setting goals not only helps motivate you, it’s something tangible. For those just starting out a reasonable goal might be to add 500 steps a day to their normal routine. For others it could be 1,000 or 2,000. Realistically though this isn’t a race to see who can do more steps, it’s a slow progression on becoming more physically fit.
- Make Time For Yourself. From our experience if you don’t make time for your health, no one else will.
- Invite Others. Walking and running can certainly be enjoyable by yourself, but having a friend or two tag along can help push you.
- Evaluate Your Progress. Have you achieved your goal? Do you need to adjust your goal? Do you need to create more ME time? Is anything holding you back? Are you injured?
- Don’t Go Overboard – Stepping can be very fun and addictive, so always be cognizant of your fitness and abilities.
10000 Steps Resources
We have written several Articles on 10,000 Steps, so please check them out and enjoy.
- 4 Simple Ways To Walk 10K Steps
- HOW TO START A WALKING GROUP
- HOW FAR IS 10K STEPS
- STEPS AND CYCLING
- TOP 10 BENEFITS OF WALKING 10K STEPS DAILY
- WALKING IS FOR BORING PEOPLE
- 10K STEPS HISTORY DR. YOSHIRO HATANO
How To Add 2,000 Steps To Your Daily Activity
Don’t Just Say It, DO IT!
Talk is cheap if it’s not back up with action. One of the easiest ways to add steps to your daily routine is to get it done early. The morning is the perfect excuse to put on the walking or running shoes and head out the door for a healthier you.
To get you started we created a fantastic 30 day challenge. 2,000 Steps Before 9am. Remember 2,000 steps is only 1 mile and should only take you 15 to 20 minutes to do. We know you have the time, so what are you waiting for?
Here are some helpful tips.
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier
- List to the weather reports for the next day
- Set out your walking cloths the night before
- Invite a friend or family member to join you
Now let’s Prancercise.
Incoming search terms:
- re2 10000 steps guide